With wedding season fast approaching, I thought it might be helpful to talk about my personalised poetry in a little more detail.
More often than not, I’m contacted by brides looking for a bespoke poem to take the place of a reading at their wedding ceremony, but I’ve also written poems for key members of the wedding party to give the newlyweds as a unique gift! Printed on parchment-style paper, the poems look lovely when framed.
Before work begins, I ask the following questions:
- When, where and how did the couple meet?
- When and where are they getting married?
- Can you tell me a little about their personalities and hobbies?
- Do they have any interesting habits or quirks?
- How many verses would you like the poem to have?
- What style of poem are you looking for e.g. rhyming, non-rhyming…?
- What sort of tone would you prefer e.g. funny, sentimental…?
- Would you like the poem to be written from your perspective?
- Is there anything else you would like to include e.g. references to in-jokes, pets, something particularly special about the relationship…?
Once we’ve chatted through the above (either via email or over the phone), discussed cost (postage is free of charge!) and I’ve drawn up a basic contract, it’s all systems go!
I always email poems to my clients before they go to print and are posted, in case they would like any last-minute changes to be made.
Please get in touch if you’ve been considering a personalised poem for a wedding (or any other special event)!